Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Day at Zuanich Park


Jeff took Cody to Zuanich Park a couple of months back. We had recently adopted Cody from the Whatcom County Humane Society (who by the way are some of the coolest people on the planet). Jeff did not want another dog. Maggie, our extremely beloved Chocolate Lab had just died in February of this year, and Jeff was not ready for the added responsibility that a dog brings. I unfortunately missed Maggie so much that I was not moving on. I was wallowing in grief and guilt. I spotted Cody on the Humane Society's website and it was love at first sight!! I also noticed a chocolate lab that looked rather adorable.

My mom and I went to the Humane Society and I saw the chocolate lab. He and I just didn't really click. But, I saw Cody sleeping in the corner of one of the kennels. And he turned his long, sad face and looked at me and my heart melted. My mom told me that I shouldn't adopt Cody because of his age, a mere 6 1/2 years old. Mom didn't understand that was not old. Since Mom wasn't saying what I wanted to hear, I went back alone the next day. I took Cody for a walk and we were instantly in love. Now, I had to convince Jeff. I asked the Humane Society to put a hold on Cody so my family could meet him.

I begged Jeff to just go look at Cody. Jeff had made up his mind and he did not want another dog yet. But I needed Cody. After avoiding the topic the first half of the day, I was brave and broached the subject. After a lot of conversation and a few tears on my part, we went to see Cody. It didn't take much and Jeff said that I could have the dog. I was ecstatic!!! We took Cody over to April's house (she's my best friend). Cody got along swimmingly with her two dogs, Phoebe and Rufus (Pomeranians). April decided that Cody's name is Louis, and so that is what she calls him. He doesn't seem to mind. But, coming from April, who would mind?

The next day I had to go to work and, lo and behold, I come home and find the pictures of Jeff and Cody at Zuanich Park! You can only imagine my pleasure at seeing how much Jeff didn't want a dog ;-)

No comments: