Wednesday, September 12, 2007

First Day of Vacation


It was a beautiful drive from Purdy, WA to Kingston to catch the ferry to Edmonds. It was mid 70s, the sun was shining and ABBA was blasting on the radio as my mom and I cruised along in the BMW. We visited my sister, Andrea who is recuperating after evicting Murphy the Tumor.

I don't have to go back to work until October 1st. There is no better feeling than the first day of vacation! I don't care what you are doing, you get to stop and think, "I don't have to go to work tomorrow!" Now vacations are interesting. I spent years trying to figure out why vacation didn't feel the same way as an adult as it did when I was a child. And I think that I finally figured it out. When I was young, I relished summer vacation, but I was always excited to go back to school and I didn't mourn the end of vacation like I do now. Well, when you're a kid, you get to end that year of school, go on an extended summer vacation, possibly travel and don't have to pay for a thing. Then, I get to start an entirely new year of school, with new subjects, new teachers, etc. As an adult, I go on vacation and get a couple of weeks if I'm lucky. If I go somewhere I have to pay and then after vacation is over I come back to the same job, the same work, the same people, and in my case a big pile of work that didn't get done while I was gone. Do you see my point? So, my solution is this. We should get to work at a job for 9 months, take a 3 month vacation and then start a new job every year! I think next year, I'll be a Cardiologist! That sounds kind of interesting...

No comments: